Friday, August 10, 2007

Overcoming Alcoholism, Smoking and Drug Addiction

An Inspiring Story from one of Alcoholics Nucleus Members

It's been more than 5 years since i decided to stop smoking, doing drugs and drinking alcohol. I consider it as one of my greatest achievements in life.

It was an abrupt withdrawal from an addiction that started when i was in my Junior high.
I even skip classes back then just to attend drinking sessions or sometimes attend class drunk as early as 7am and get scolded by teachers for smoking insde the school premises.

I started using drugs when i was a senior student in high school.
I guess like most typical teenagers, there's a certain time in our lives when we feel like "its me against the world"... and unfortunately encounter people with the same kind of thinkin and get bad influence from them. I easily get into a fight... I chose not to listen to whatever other people say and stand by my decisions though sometimes it's pretty obvious that i'm wrong.

Though God says we should accept everyone the way they are, I think its still wiser if you choose the right kind of people to associate yourself with.

I've learned that when i met my "real" friends in college who brought me towards the light.
I could still remember that dawn of January 12, 2002 when I said to myself and my friends that it would be the last time i'd get drunk and do drugs come what may.

I simply stood by that decision and though it was really hard i tried not to be in places where i used to hang out. Basically tried to keep myself away from everything and everyone who would consciously or unconsciously encourage me to go back to my old habits.

I suffered a lot, It wasnt an easy job, but i think "conviction" would be the right magic word to use.

A lot of alcoholic people say its hard and those who are extremely addicted says its next to impossible to actually rehabilitate yourself and to keep away from alcohol or in other cases drugs. But i think all we need is to believe that we can do it and live a clean life.

When i finally lived a clean life, i started to have a better disposition in life, making sound decisions, and learned to appreciate the things and people around me.
Slowly but constantly moving on... away from my old rotten spirit.

I dont regret that i have ever gone through all those experiences, because everything that happened to me molded me to what i am now, my mistakes serve
as my guide to do right this time. And what's important is now and tomorrow...

So if you're still in the dark, dont be scared to come out so people can help you...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tell the family member that you are worried about his or her drinking. Use examples of the ways in which the drinking has caused problems.
--------------------
johnsmith
Alcohol abuse affects millions. This site has a lot of useful information.

Alcohol Abuse